REGENERATION specialist St. Modwen has set out its plans for the future of Kirkby in a public exhibition this week – bringing the redevelopment of the Town Centre a step closer. The development plans pave the way for a wider more significant change. The proposal will see the strengthening of the existing Town Centre, a new supermarket, additional shops, car parking and a new leisure development. The proposal would also boost the local economy, create new jobs, as well as bringing more shoppers and businesses to Kirkby – transforming it into a destination local people can enjoy. To achieve this, St. Modwen plans to:
- Carry out improvements that will complement and enhance Kirkby Town Centre
- Increase the choice and type of shops for local people
- Provide accommodation that meets the needs and requirements of modern retailers, making Kirkby an attractive place to do business
- Ensure that any new development is fully integrated into the existing Town Centre, with improved pedestrian links, so that the whole area benefits from any new development
- Improved leisure amenities which would include restaurants and a cinema on the site of the old Kirkby Library
- Create pockets of landscaping and green spaces, including a new area of public realm
- Provide a temporary car park to the south of Cherryfield Drive to serve existing shops and local amenities, while the retail development is under construction.